As the temperatures dip, and school lets out for winter vacation, young people are going to have a lot of free time on their hands. This is the perfect opportunity to get them involved in some of the many youth-centered programs that help disabled athletes maintain their physical prowess, even in the off season.
Below is a list of active programs around the country that you can either sign your young athlete up for, or get involved with to help other young athletes achieve their dreams.
- American Association of Adapted Sports Programs (AAASP) – AASP has launched Project ASPIRE to help youth with disabilities get involved in sports throughout the nation.
- Athletes Helping Athletes – AHA provides hand cycles to children with disabilities to help get them involved in physical activity.
- Blaze Sports Clubs of America
- Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF)
- Directory of Sports Organizations for Athletes with Disabilities
- Exceptionally Excited Kids (EEK)
- Fishing has no Boundaries – Offering history, events and programs for those with disabilities interested in fishing.
- Just for Kicks – Soccer program for children with disabilities ages 3-15.
- Little League Challenger Division – A separate division of Little League baseball specifically for children with physical and mental disabilities.
- National Disability Sports Alliance
- Special Olympics
- Sports for Kids Foundation
- The Miracle League
- US Youth Soccer TOPSoccer
- Vermont Adaptive Ski & Sports
- Wheelchair Sports, USA
- World T.E.A.M. – Pairs disabled and non-disabled athletes together to participate in sports.
Providing athletes with disabilities positive, enriching options to stay active and healthy is one of the many reasons why NMEDA exists, in that the idea of mobility independence often extends well beyond the vehicles you drive.
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is an advocate for mobility and accessibility for drivers with disabilities. If you need help with converting or buying a handicap accessible car, truck or van, please consider one of our Quality Assurance Program mobility equipment dealers.